- Priesthood Music Director
- Relief Society Music Director
- Ward Music Director
- Young Women Music Director
1. Watch this series of 10 short videos for conducting tips for LDS music directors.
2. If you are brand new to to music directing, start with this Music Directing for beginning directors tutorial on the LDS music site
3. You can practice your basic conducting patterns using the Interactive Conducting Course
4. Practice directing in front of a mirror, often. Great directors have spent years practicing and perfecting their directing techniques.
5. Get together with the pianist to practice directing the hymns for Sunday meetings.
6. Buy a set of the hymns on CD, or listen to them online while you are practicing your conducting.
7. When directing large groups, like in Sacrament Meeting or Stake Conference, you can choose to use a baton if you feel comfortable directing with one.
8. Prayerfully select the hymns for the meeting in which you’re directing the music. Music for some meetings, such as Sacrament Meeting, first needs to be approved by the presiding authority. Give the hymn numbers to the pianist/organist well in advance, at least a week. Most accompanists need time to practice too.