Relief Society Music Director
- Prepares music for Relief Society meetings under the direction of the counselor assigned to education.
- Selects hymns and other music that correlate with Relief Society lessons.
- Reviews and rehearses this music with the pianist, and she conducts the music.
- Attends ward Relief Society leadership meetings.
- Organizes Relief Society choirs for special occasions.
- Asks the ward music chairman for assistance if necessary.
- Learns and practices good directing techniques.
What happened to the 5 minute music period?
The old handbook stated that the Relief Society Music Director was to present a five-minute music period during Relief Society meetings, including learning hymns, discussing the use of music in the home, learning musical skills, listening to good music and discussing its qualities, and singing in parts. There is no mention of this five-minute music period in the new handbook. Some stakes and wards may ask their Relief Society Music Directors to continue this musical tradition. If you belong to one of these wards here are some ideas for you.